Monday 27 August 2018

WDYTYA? Series Finale - Jonnie Peacock





Last Monday's episode of Who Do You Think You Are? was the last in the series and featured Paralympian Jonnie Peacock.



peacock feathers



I have to admit that I'm a big fan of Jonnie Peacock, so I was looking forward to this episode!

Jonnie's episode actually showed what a lot of the episodes this series have shown - that the poverty of the past, and the living conditions of many of our ancestors, were exceptionally poor.



One key frustrating note (for me at least,) that seems to crop up a lot is the celebrity being completely bemused when people sign with an X.

So, to clear this up and spread the word, let me explain:

If someone signs with an X it usually means they are illiterate. The only other explanation, really, would be if a disability affected someone's ability to write.

Early records, particularly among women, and among lower/working-class people, are usually signed with an X.

So now you know!



I think the interesting thing to me with this episode was the connection with anthrax, and its relative prevalence at the time.

Just goes to show that health and safety is there for a reason, I suppose!






So that was it for this series of Who Do You Think You Are? - I'll try to add some blogposts between series this time, but if I'm quiet it's because I'm busy researching your ancestors!

No comments:

Post a Comment