Friday 4 July 2014

Friday Quick Tip

Sorry I haven't posted anything this week, but here's your Friday Quick Tip, right on cue.

Ever think, 'I'm sure there are books that could help me learn more about the social/local/parish history that I'm interested in?' A lot of these books are out of print - some of them by more than a hundred years - but with a little ingenuity you can track some of them down. Abebooks provides a platform where you can track down and order copies of old books, while Hathi Trust and Open Library provide searchable scans of books held by universities etc. I'm not a fan of eBooks in general - so please don't see this is an endorsement for reading books in electronic formats - but for the purposes of research, these online libraries can be very valuable in allowing access to information which would otherwise be too difficult to find.

Happy searching - and remember, if you need any help you can always give me an e-mail or check out my website www.familyhistorybycerys.co.uk to browse my range of services.

No comments:

Post a Comment